Several years ago, I stopped making “resolutions” and started creating specific, action-oriented goals. Maybe it was the change in terminology or maybe a change in perspective, I don’t know, but doing that made a huge difference for me.
I think the problem was that they resolutions were too general. I would start out great but then after a couple of months I would abandon them with frustration and feeling like a failure. However, when I started writing goals, I would do my best to be as specific as possible and use a checklist as I completed them. What a difference it made! No, it didn’t go perfectly all the time (nothing does!) but seeing the visual progress on the checklist helped me to keep going and I accomplished more than I ever thought I would.
Therefore, of course, I am continuing that practice for 2016. I have some personal goals I want to accomplish but I also have some specific business goals, too. I share them here in hopes that they will inspire you as you think about and create your own goals for the new year:
1. Officially launch my author/writing business
2. Write and publish one guest post per month
3. Create at least two videos or video series per month
4. Read at least one business or writing book per month
6. Post to carolda.com at least 2 times per week.
7. Join 2 support groups/master minds and attend at least one virtual/on site conference this year
I think seven to ten goals are plenty to start with. I will probably revise or add to these as the year goes by. I am also planning to do an update in June to help keep me accountable.
What are your goals for 2016? Do share in the comments!